The Notre Dame Cathedral, an iconic Parisian landmark, began burning on Monday and has partially collapsed. You can read the updates here. As the cathedral burned, online hoaxes, conspiracies, and coordinated disinformation campaigns began to spread across social media.
1. This story relied on a since-deleted tweet to spread a baseless claim the fire was set deliberately.
2. There’s zero evidence Muslims were responding to the fire with “smiley faces.”
3. A fake twitter account impersonating CNN spread a hoax about the fire.
4. There is a coordinated campaign to spread an article from 2016 that’s unrelated to today’s events.
5. A misleading post from Jihad Watch, a website that frequently spreads Islamophobic disinformation, is getting traction across social media.
6. A fake Fox News account is spreading disinformation about the fire.