Every mom has a birth story that drums up emotions ranging from warm and fuzzy to traumatizing and anxiety-inducing.
1. “I hovered, above myself, yet fully in my body.”
2. “Little did we know that delivering placenta feels like delivering another baby.”
3. “As a woman of color, the concept of birthing in a traditional hospital is daunting and terrifying.”
4. “I’ve always struggled with being firm in my decision making, but giving birth under my own conditions certainly created a brand-new me.”
5. “We have very little in the way of public protections against discrimination.”
6. “I decided no way in hell did I carry this blessing for what was more than 10 months to risk losing her because I didn’t want to be cut open.”
7. “Soon, my spacious delivery room was ready and the nurses wheeled me in to greet an answered prayer: a Black midwife who had just started her shift.”
8. “In the back of my mind, I wondered if I would die in the empty room. But he whispered in my ear, ‘Yes, you can. Be brave.'”
Check out Mater Mea for more content at the intersection of motherhood and career.