Mother and daughter rescued a ‘cold as concrete’ naked newborn with an unclamped umbilical cord from a SHOPPING BAG on a dumpster before paramedics shocked him back to life
- Woman and her daughter found a newborn boy on top of a dumpster Tuesday
- They rushed baby to fire department and paramedics did CPR on lifeless infant
- Chicago child still had umbilical cord attached, unclamped and was losing blood
- It was discovered wrapped in towel inside a shopping bag on a rainy day
- Fire department said it was ‘cold as concrete’ and had to be shocked back to life
- Boy was taken to Norwegian American Hospital and condition ‘was upgraded to stable from very critical’ before being transferred to a children’s hospital
- The baby was ‘crying and kicking’ after paramedics intervened
A mother and her daughter helped save the life of a ‘cold as concrete’ newborn boy found inside a shopping bag dumped on top a trash can in an Illinois alleyway Tuesday.
It was immediately rushed to the fire station on the 1700 block of North Pulaski Avenue after a woman went to investigate a blanket atop a dumpster on the 1700 block of North Keystone Avenue and heard whining .
It’s believed the baby was born one or two hours before it was discovered naked ‘blue, unresponsive, no pulse’ around 4pm after losing blood from its still attached and unclamped umbilical cord.
It had to be shocked back to life when taken in from the cold rainy conditions in Hermosa, Northwest Chicago.
Woman and her daughter found a newborn boy on top of a dumpster Tuesday in Chicago
They rushed baby to local fire department and paramedics did CPR on the lifeless infant. Paramedic Melanie Howe said: ‘We’re so lucky that this little guy has improved so much’
‘The baby was cold as concrete,’ Paramedic Field Chief Patrick Fitzmaurice said at a news conference Tuesday about the moment firefighter Oshita opened the door to the Good Samaritans.
‘I wasn’t too optimistic, but like I said to the lieutenant, I wasn’t ready to lose this one today, and neither were they and they worked very hard.
‘This poor kid was minutes away from having no chance at all.’
The paramedic chief praised the woman for taking the child to the fire house after finding it discarded inside a towel, noting that there may have been a different outcome if she tried to drive it to hospital or called 911 instead.
Paramedic Melanie Howe was one of the two people who performed CPR on the infant who wasn’t breathing by the time it arrived at the fire station.
She performed the difficult task of securing an IV due to a newborn’s tiny veins.
‘We’re so lucky that this little guy has improved so much,’ Howe said.
Lieutenant Goecke also worked on the baby – who appeared to be full term and looked to weigh approximately six pounds – while it was being transported to Norwegian American Hospital.
The child was only one of two hours old and still had his umbilical cord attached. It was unclamped and he was losing blood when found on the 1700 block of North Keystone Avenue
Chicago Fire Dept. Field Chief Patrick Fitzmaurice said the boy was ‘cold as concrete’ and had to be shocked back to life
But in a tweet Tuesday the Chicago Fire Dept, Larry Langford, Director said the baby’s condition ‘has been upgraded to stable from very critical’.
‘The little guy is crying and kicking,’ he said as the newborn was about to be transferred to Lurie Children’s Hospital on Chicago Ave.
Illinois will not ask questions if a parent decides to drop off a child with a member of staff at a hospital, fire or police station within 30 days of the birth.
The Safe Haven law was passed in 2001 and since then 131 infants lives have been saved because of it according to Dawn Geras who lobbied to pass it.
Authorities are now looking for the boy’s mother whose identity is unknown.
Lieutenant Goecke (left) did CPR on the baby who firefighter Oshita (right) open the door to
‘I don’t know what it’s like to have a child, be pregnant, and be in some horrible circumstances where you are driven to do something like this. It almost sounds diabolical,’ Patrick Fitzmaurice, paramedics field chief, said in a video from WGNTV. ‘But come to us, call 911. We would’ve taken the baby to one hospital and her to another hospital. We won’t judge. Don’t leave your baby in an alley. Come to a firehouse. Leave the baby there. Give the kid a chance.’
He added: ‘Come to us, call 911. We would’ve taken the baby to one hospital and her to another hospital,’ Fitzmaurice said about the mother. ‘We won’t judge. Don’t leave your baby in an alley. Come to a firehouse. Leave the baby there. Give the kid a chance.’
Paramedic Howe – who has two of her own children – echoed his statement, adding that she had a supportive husband when her children were delivered.
Boy was taken to Norwegian American Hospital and condition ‘was upgraded to stable from very critical’ before being transferred to a children’s hospital