Up to 63 people could have been wrongly removed or deported because of the Windrush scandal, Sajid Javid has said.
The Home Secretary revealed on Tuesday his department were investigating the cases following fears people who had been in the country lawfully for decades may have been forced to leave.
Of the 63, 32 are foreign national offenders, while 31 were people subject to “administrative” removals.
Appearing at the Commons Home Affairs Committee, Mr Javid emphasised that the figures are not final and are subject to change.
He said: “I’ve asked officials to be absolutely certain and thorough and check over every record and make sure.”