THE father of missing Claudia Lawrence has admitted it is getting harder to believe she is still alive ten years after she went missing.
Peter Lawrence, 72, said the last decade had been “horrible”.
In the past he said he thought his daughter, who was 35 when she vanished on March 19 2009, was still alive.
But now Mr Lawrence, from York, has said: “It’s getting more difficult to believe that as time goes on. It’s very difficult.”
Chef Claudia failed to turn up for work at York University.
Five men held on suspicion of murder were released without charge.
Mr Lawrence said the police still keep in touch but he added: “Trouble is, they just need some useful information.”
He added: “It just keeps going on and on, of course, because of not knowing what happened, and it is the not knowing which has always been the worst part about it.
‘IT’S GETTING MORE DIFFICULT’
“I’ve always said that and, until such time as we know what happened, that will just go on, unfortunately.”
Mr Lawrence reported his “shy” daughter missing after her friend, Suzy Cooper, told him she could not contact “avid texter” Miss Lawrence.
Recalling how he felt when he realised something had happened to her, he said: “Obviously it was a shock, it’s more than worrying.”
Mr Lawrence said he has coped through the last 10 years “with the support of close friends and the community”.
He has used his experience to campaign tirelessly for the introduction of what has become known as Claudia’s Law – which will allow families of people missing for more than 90 days to deal with their affairs.
The law received Royal Assent in April 2017 and is due to come into force in July this year
He said: “We’re nearly there after so long. Claudia’s Law is to help lots of families – about 2,500 of them waiting for it.”