in

Trump 'poised to ignore warnings and scrap Iran nuclear deal' despite last-ditch pleas


Donald Trump is expected to pull out of the nuclear deal with Iran, ignoring last-ditch pleas by his European allies.

The President has consistently threatened to pull out of the 2015 agreement because it does not address Iran’s ballistic missile program or its role in wars in Syria and Yemen, and does not permanently prevent Tehran from developing nuclear weapons.

He has unsuccessfully demanded changes to the Obama-era deal – which he has described as ‘insane – whereby Iran mothballed its suspected nuclear weapons program in return for massive sanctions relief.

Donald Trump has been a fierce critic of the nuclear deal with Iran and now looks poised to tear it up

Donald Trump has been a fierce critic of the nuclear deal with Iran and now looks poised to tear it up

The President tweeted that he is due to make his decision later today

The President tweeted that he is due to make his decision later today

Months of intensive talks between the United States and European allies now appear deadlocked, with Berlin, London and Paris refusing to rewrite the agreement.

The president tweeted he would announce his decision at 2:00 pm even as British foreign secretary Boris Johnson shuttled around Washington to reach a last-gasp breakthrough.

One European diplomat echoed the mood around foreign embassies in Washington, saying ‘there is plainly a difference of opinion,’ acknowledging Trump seems poised to walk away.

Concretely, the US president will now to decide whether to continue to waive sanctions on Iran’s central bank and its oil sector dealings, a key pillar of the agreement.

‘It’s pretty obvious to me that unless something changes in the next few days, I believe the president will not waive the sanctions,’ the European official said.

Boris Johnson, pictured with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, has pleaded with President Trump to stick with the deal 

Boris Johnson, pictured with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, has pleaded with President Trump to stick with the deal 

‘I would like to pretend to you today that I feel that there is a chance of the existing (deal) remaining intact,’ the official said. 

‘I think that that chance may exist but it is very small.’

Appearing on the Fox & Friends programme today – known to be Mr Trump’s favourite news show – Mr Johnson said the president had a ‘legitimate point’ that the pact was not perfect.

But he appealed for the US not to throw the ‘baby out with the bathwater’ by ditching the arrangements altogether.

‘If you do that you have to answer the question what next? What if the Iranians do rush for a nuclear weapon?’ he said.

‘Are we seriously saying that we are going to bomb those facilities at Fordo and Natanz?

‘Is that really a realistic possibility? Or do we work round what we have got and push back on Iran together?’

Mr Johnson added: ‘Plan B does not seem to me to be particularly well-developed at this stage.’

Iran's President Hassan Rouhani has said his country will not be worried by 'America's cruel decisions' and remains committed to the deal 

Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani has said his country will not be worried by ‘America’s cruel decisions’ and remains committed to the deal 

Meanwhile, Iran’s president Hassan Rouhani warned the country could face ‘some problems’ ahead of President decision.

Without directly naming Trump, Rouhani’s remarks at a petroleum conference in Tehran represented the first official Iranian comment on the U.S. president’s overnight tweet that he’d make an announcement on the deal Tuesday.

‘It is possible that we will face some problems for two or three months, but we will pass through this,’ Rouhani said.

Rouhani also stressed Iran wants to keep ‘working with the world and constructive engagement with the world.’

Rouhani said the Islamic Republic had been preparing for every possible scenario, including a deal without Washington – which would still include the other signatories that remain committed to it – or no deal at all.

‘We are not worried about America’s cruel decisions. We are prepared for all scenarios and no change will occur in our lives next week,’ Rouhani said in a speech broadcast live on state TV.

‘If we can get what we want from a deal without America, then Iran will continue to remain committed to the deal.

‘What Iran wants is our interests to be guaranteed by its non-American signatories. In that case, getting rid of America’s mischievous presence will be fine for Iran.’

 



Source link

Leave a Reply

Limp handshake could mean you're at risk of a deadly heart attack

Here Are The Actual Threats Made Against EPA Chief Scott Pruitt