in

Weinstein countersues insurance company for $300,000 'crisis' money


Harvey Weinstein is suing his insurance company for $300,000 in ‘crisis assistance’ money, it has been revealed. 

Weinstein filed a countersuit against Chubb Indemnity Insurance Co on Monday after the company refused to pay for the disgraced mogul’s legal defense.

The producer is facing numerous lawsuits after more than 80 women accused him of sexual assault and harassment. 

Units of the insurer have together issued 80 policies to Weinstein and his family between 1994 and 2018, including coverage for personal liability. 

Harvey Weinstein is countersuing his insurance company for $300,000 in 'crisis assistance' money, it has been revealed 

Harvey Weinstein is countersuing his insurance company for $300,000 in ‘crisis assistance’ money, it has been revealed 

That would normally cover legal costs to defend against claims of damage or injury caused accidentally, but the insurer said Weinstein’s conduct was intentional.

In March Chubb asked the New York State Supreme Court to issue a judgment declaring that the policies’ terms exclude defending charges in the lawsuits, specifically sexual assault, discrimination, and intentional acts.

But Weinstein is now claiming that Chubb is still on the hook because he paid more than $1.2million in insurance premiums, according to the Hollywood Reporter. 

He is filing breach-of-contract claims against various Chubb insurers and argues that one policy entitles him to $300,000 in ‘crisis assistance’ benefits.

Weinstein’s countersuit alleges that Chubb churned out a ‘series of form letters that improperly denied his claims’.

‘So flimsy were the insurer’s denials that they failed to base their decision on the terms of any specific policy and/or the language of any particular form,’ it added. 

The suit comes days after it was revealed that a Manhattan grand jury is reportedly considering sexual assault charges against Weinstein (pictured with  Georgina Chapman)

The suit comes days after it was revealed that a Manhattan grand jury is reportedly considering sexual assault charges against Weinstein (pictured with Georgina Chapman)

Actresses Lucia Evans (pictured) and Paz de la Huerta have both come forward and claimed that Weinstein forced them into sex acts in Manhattan

De la Huerta said Weinstein raped her on two occasions in 2010

Actresses Lucia Evans (left) and Paz de la Huerta (right) have both come forward and claimed that Weinstein forced them into sex acts in Manhattan

Top prosecutor Joan Illuzzi (above) is handling the case as a grand jury considers evidence

Top prosecutor Joan Illuzzi (above) is handling the case as a grand jury considers evidence

‘Worse yet, the insurers’ cursory denials consciously concealed the existence of policies that lacked the insurers’ cited exclusions, as well as policies that affirmatively extended defense benefits to Mr Weinstein.’ 

Weinstein also said in the countersuit that he had to ‘reorder his finances to ensure the funding of defense counsel for claims wrongfully denied’. 

The suit comes just days after it was revealed that a Manhattan grand jury is reportedly considering sexual assault charges against Weinstein.

Top prosecutor Joan Illuzzi is handling the case, and the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office has already sent grand jury subpoenas to Weinstein’s closest associates, sources told Page Six.

Although it’s unclear what case and what charges the grand jury might be considering, the subpoenas cover documents dating back to 2004, including phone records, emails, and financial documents.

In Manhattan, Weinstein has been accused of forcing actress Lucia Evans, then a college student, to perform oral sex on him inside his Tribeca office in 2004 and of raping Boardwalk Empire actress Paz de la Huerta on two occasions in 2010. 

Actress Ashley Judd sued Weinstein last week, claiming he derailed her career after she rejected his sexual advances

Judd's lawsuit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, relates to her failing to get a role in The Lord Of The Rings movies.

Actress Ashley Judd sued Weinstein last week, claiming he derailed her career after she rejected his sexual advances

Weinstein has denied that he ever engaged in non-consensual sex. 

In October, Evans told told The New Yorker that the summer before her senior year in college, Weinstein met her at a club and asked her to come in for a meeting at his Manhattan office.

Soon after she arrived, she claims that Weinstein took off his pants and shoved her face into his crotch, overpowering her until she acquiesced to his demands. 

In November, de la Huerta told Vanity Fair that Weinstein had on two occasions barged into her Manhattan apartment and shoved her onto her bed before forcing himself on her.

‘He’s like a pig…He raped me,’ she said.

Weinstein, 66, is also being investigated by police in Los Angeles, Beverly Hills and London but has yet to be criminally charged in any jurisdiction. 

Alexandra Canosa, a producer on Netflix's Marco Polo, is suing Weinstein (pictured together in 2012) and claims he sexually assaulted her nine times over the course of seven years

Alexandra Canosa, a producer on Netflix’s Marco Polo, is suing Weinstein (pictured together in 2012) and claims he sexually assaulted her nine times over the course of seven years

He has been hit with a slew of new lawsuits and allegations just within the last week.

Actress Ashley Judd is also suing the disgraced producer, claiming he derailed her career after she rejected his sexual advances.

Judd’s lawsuit, filed on Monday in Los Angeles Superior Court, relates to her failing to get a role in The Lord Of The Rings movies.

Director Peter Jackson previously came forward to say that he had wanted to cast Judd in a prominent role for the films, but removed her from the cast list ‘as a direct result’ of of ‘false information’ from Weinstein.

Alexandra Canosa, a producer on Netflix’s Marco Polo, is also suing Weinstein and claims he sexually assaulted her nine times over the course of seven years.

Canosa said Weinstein threatened her job and future in the industry if she reported anything, according to court papers. 



Source link

Stroke survivors are being failed by the NHS and not getting the rehab they need, charity claims

The US And China Are Mad At Each Other Over Lasers